The History of Head Massage
In India Ayurvedic, or traditional, medicine is as important as orthodox medicine. It aims to treat the whole body in order to maintain a balance between the physical, mental and spiritual. Massage has always formed a central part of this. Indian families use massage on a daily basis both for relaxation and healing but also to maintain contact and enjoy the stress-reducing benefits of touch. From an early age children are taught to give head massage so that each family member can both give and receive treatment. At times of ritual, such as weddings and birth, massage has always been important. It is also common for men to receive a head massage when they visit a barber. Over centuries practitioners of alternative medicine have recoginised the benefits of massage, especially scalp massage, to relieve tension and stress. In the West the traditional scalp massage used in India has evolved to become Indian Head Massage, which has evolved to become a treatment for the Scalp, face, neck, shoulders and upper arm Massage.
To ensure maximum comfort for our clients we do this treatment with our clients lying down, face up on the treatment couch.
WHAT IS INDIAN HEAD MASSAGE
Head massage uses and adapts classic Swedish massage techniques for treating the scalp, face, neck, shoulders and upper arms. It is extremely effective for treating stress because it works on the areas of the body most effected. However, although the treatment focuses on the upper part of the torso and head the effects are felt throughout the mind and body.
We use oils in our treatment and which are traditionally used which when used in the scalp can leave your hair healthy and shiny.
- general feeling of wellbeing, calmness and relaxation
- removal of toxins from tense muscles
- stimulation and improvement of circulatory and lymphatic systems
- relieves tension headaches and eyestrain
- tinnitus and other ear problems
- neck and shoulder stiffness
- sinusitis and congestion
- hair loss
- scalp tension
- mental tiredness, anxiety and stress
- encourages desquamation of the skin
Self care Tip
The beauty of a head massage is that you can do it yourself. All you need are your fingertips. Massage oil is optional.
To give yourself a head massage, follow these steps:
- Sit down in a comfortable chair. If you’re using oil, make sure to put a towel around your neck and on the chair to catch any drips.
- Begin by applying light to medium pressure on your head with your fingertips. If you’re using oils, dip your fingertips in the oil, then proceed with the massage.
- Move around your scalp in small circular motions.
- Massage for a minimum of 5 minutes, making sure to cover your entire head.
- You can wash the oil out with shampoo.