The ear clearing ritual has been around for thousands of years from ancient Egyptians to Native Americans having practiced ear candling as a necessary part of their personal hygiene.  Today, many holistic centres and spa continue to offer the technique with another therapy or on its own.


An ear candle is a cotton tube impregnated with BEESWAX, honey and therapeutic oils, that is painlessly inserted into the ear to draw out impurities, relieve pressure in the head and sinuses and aid hearing problems.  The candles are made from natural ingredients and candles are also known as thermo-auricular therapy.

When lit the ear candle generates a gentle heat which, when combined with the therapeutic oils, produces a light suction action loosening ear was.  This is known as chimney principle and works by drawing impurities gently to the surface, where they can be removed.  Most deposits evaporate and are carried away through the candle chimney but some are found in the condensed candle was residue after it is removed from the ear.  None of the candles residue actually goes into the ear.

It is seen as a safe, simple  and relaxing remedy for many ailments, including sinus pressure, migraines, chronic earaches, TMJ and ringing in your ears (tinnitus).  It has helped people with sinus congestions, colds, ear aches and infections, candida, headaches, lymphatic congestion, sore throats, mucus, sinus infections, balance and equilibrium.  It is safe, simple and natural, it is also a soothing experience that reduces stress and tension and also claims have been made that it can sharpen mental functions.

Meniere’s disease is a disease of the inner ear, which is characterised by attacks of dizziness, nausea, vomiting, deafness and a buzzing in the ears (tinnitus).  These symptoms can arise suddenly and without warning.  TMJ (temporomandibular joint and muscle disorders, commonly called TMJ are a group of conditions that cause pain and dysfunctions in the jaw joint and the muscles that control jaw movement.

Although anyone can be treated with ear candles there are cases where we would not treat:-

  1. Infection or inflammation of the ear
  2. Surgery on the ear within the last 3 months
  3. Perforation of the ear drum
  4. Auricular cysts
  5. Grommets, drains or ventilation tubes fitted
  6. Known allergy to bees wax/stings


Providing treatment is given if none of the above is present and should be a perfectly safe treatment.  The number of treatments that may be given needed to cure a problem depends on a number of factors.  The age of the person, the length of time they have had the condition and what condition the person is suffering from.  The older the person and the longer they have had the condition the more treatments that will be needed before there is a noticeable improvement and some conditions are much more treatable than others, therefore fewer treatments are needed for positive results to be achieved.

Please take note we cannot promise that this treatment will cure your condition and if in any doubt about whether or to have ear candling please refer to your GP.


After ear candling you may feel relaxed and be enjoying the benefits of the what the treatment had offered, however to gain maximum benefit it is a good idea that you follow a few simple guidelines for at least 24 hours and preferably 48 hours after your treatment.

  1. Try to relax and avoid strenuous activity for the rest of the day
  2. Keep your ears out of draughts and cold winds
  3. Keep our ears out of water
  4. Massage behind your ears regularly with a natural oil
  5. Avoid dairy products as much as possible as these produce mucus
  6. Drink plenty of water and avoid alcohol, fizzy drinks and those containing caffeine.
  7. Avoid heat treatment (baths, saunas etc)

You may also experience some of the following symptoms for up to 48 hours after

  1. Light headedness
  2. Aches, pains or mild flu like symptoms
  3. Mild nausea
  4. Heightened emotions
  5. Tiredness or fatigue
  6. Increased visits to the toilet
  7. Increased thirst

These symptoms are quite normal and are simply a sign that your body is going through a healing process so try to embrace it as a positive and know it won’t last long.